2012 IRIS Advocate Training Conference
Infants Remembered in Silence, Inc. (IRIS) is excited to announce its 2012 IRIS Advocate Training! IRIS is honored to present a comprehensive, national training, geared towards bereaved parents and professionals who wish to assist newly bereaved parents and staff in a unique "Hands On" environment.
This IRIS Advocate Training Conference is the premier training event of the year. The Conference provides a rich learning environment for both professionals and those who have experienced this great loss themselves and now wish to make the healing journey better for those who currently grieve the death of a child.
The training offers current and cutting-edge practices and techniques to give optimal care for the child and grieving parent(s) while allowing them to make the decisions that best fit their unique needs and beliefs regarding their precious child. IRIS Advocate training is a "hands on" training that focuses on working directly with the child that has died.
The techniques you learn can be used in a hospital and/or funeral home setting. You will learn to work directly with children that have died during early pregnancy, before birth, at birth, and through early childhood, from all causes. You will learn how to assist the parents in creating keepsakes, how to answer their difficult questions, and offer support for years to come.
Our blueprint for success is simple
Small class sizes, one-on-one attention, instructors with "Real-World" experiences in the field with a hands-on approach to learning.
Who Should Attend?
- Those who have experienced an infant loss themselves and wish to improve the journey for those who currently grieve the death of a child
- Health care professionals
- Funeral directors
- And others who wish to support grieving families
Continuing Education Credits
IRIS is an approved provider of Continuing Education Recognition points/hours. CEU's will be made available upon request. 17 hours of education will be provided; CEU's will be calculated accordingly. No partial contact hours will be issued.
Thanks to donations from the Cities97 "City Sampler" Holiday CD sales (produced by Cities97 Radio in the Twin Cities) and a Legacy of Angels Donation, we are pleased to announce that ALL Participants for this IRIS Advocate Training will receive a grant for $455 off the $900 registration fee. This will bring your cost for the three day training down to $445 plus lodging. Thanks to these wonderful grants we are able to provide all participants with nine (9) boxed clothing sets for infants 10 – 42 gestational weeks, a bereavement support packet, assorted books, and training materials at no additional charge.
Conference Goals & Objectives
- To raise awareness of the overwhelming impact infant loss has on parents, grandparents, family, friends & coworkers.
- To provide you with the skills and confidence to work with grieving parents and professional staff.
- To train you in methods appropriate for working with these precious infants/children.
- To teach you skills to create lasting memories with/without the parents participation.
- Upon fulfilling the requirements and standards as established by Infants Remembered In Silence you will be qualified as an IRIS Certified Advocate (ICA).
Families and Children
IRIS is committed to an environment conducive to learning for
all conference attendees. Due to sensitivity of this training and
your required time commitment, it is not suitable for babies or
young children to attend. Out of respect for others we ask that
children are not in the training area, meetings, or at gatherings.
If you choose to bring children, please have a support person
to care for them in non-training or meeting areas. We
appreciate your cooperation.
Conference & Lodging Location
Gainey Conference Center
2480 South County Road 45
Owatonna, MN 55060
The Gainey Conference Center provides all of the
comforts of home. From the moment you are
welcomed by their attentive staff members, you will
know that you have found one of the most prestigious facilities in Minnesota. Located
in Owatonna MN, just south of the Twin Cities, the Gainey Center's heritage is one of
excellence and Midwest hospitality. For more information and detailed directions to
the beautiful Gainey Center, visit www.stthomas.edu/gainey.
Hotel reservations will be made for you when registering for the conference. You will
have a choice of a private room or sharing your room with another conference
Directions & Transportation
The Gainey Conference Center is located one hour south of the Twin Cities and 40
minutes west of Rochester, Minnesota. Major airline service at the Minneapolis-St.
Paul International Airport brings the Center within easy reach of all parts of the
country. NOTE: GPS navigation to the Gainey Center will not work, please follow the
directions and map listed at www.stthomas.edu/gainey/maps.
Important Conference Details
- Registrations are taken in order received with a maximum of 50 participants.
- All breakout sessions will be limited to ten participants to allow for one on one instruction.
- Lodging fee will be paid with conference registration.
- Register now so that you can reserve your spot for this premier training event!
Registration, Cancellation, and Refund Policy
- Registration fee must be paid in full by March 15, 2012.
- All refund requests must be submitted in writing and postmarked no later than March 10, 2012. We will refund the entire registration fee minus a $100 administrative fee. No refunds will be given for cancellations made after the deadline.
Registration is extremely limited. All registrations will be processed in the order
received. Those interested in attending this unique training are asked to complete the
registration form below. All registrations must be prepaid to attend.
Payment options: Check (made payable to IRIS) or online with PayPal.
- Hotel accommodations
- Welcome reception
- Memorial reflection area
- IRIS 25th Anniversary Banquet
- Parent, Grandparent Displays and Discussion
- Conference workshops
- Conference manual and handouts
- All meals and breaks
- Continuing education contact hours
- Training and testing supplies
- Nine (9) clothing sets for infants 10 – 42 gestational weeks
- Bereavement Support Packet
- Additional Books
- Book Store
- Creative Memories photo editing opportunities: Do you have a picture of your precious child that you would like tubes removed from, skin problems fixed, skin/nail color alterations, etc. Please bring one (1) picture to our Creative Memories experts to enhance. There are simple techniques to edit these pictures and show the child's perfect beauty.
- Memorial/reflection area: Please bring your keepsakes to share
- IRIS Store
- Gainey Center Events (bonfire, nature walk, etc.)
- Create a memorial square for the IRIS 25th Anniversary quilt
It's against the laws of nature for a child to die before their parents. In the past it was
considered taboo to see, hold, touch, or talk about your child that had died. Today we
know that seeing, holding, touching, and talking about the child is the beginning of
healing, the beginning of moving forward, the beginning of lovingly remembering this
precious child. IRIS Advocates work directly with parents, granting them permission to
cry, to grieve, to ask questions, and assist them in creating memories that will last a
lifetime. As an IRIS Advocate Trainee, you will be attending training workshops on:
- Parents & Grandparents Point of View: what’s requested and needed, Q & A
- Doula services for grieving parents
- Preservation of the child's body
- Dealing with Families: immediate and extended
- Support Groups – Listening with your heart
- Self Care for Advocate
- Legal Requirements and documentation
- Reality, where do we go from here?
- Getting advocate services into Hospitals/Funeral home